Thursday, October 15, 2009

Climate change for Blog Action Day

I'm posting this for Blog Action Day, an event encouraging bloggers to post about climate change on October 15.

I don't normally put political posts on my blog, but this is an important issue for me.

Global warming is only one of a painfully large number of environmental issues we need to come to grips with in the coming 10, 25, 50, 100 years. But there's momentum behind dealing with this issue now. The time is ripe, and it's something I can feel hopeful about.

In honor of the day, I thought I'd share an article I wrote in 2005, for Science News, on the potential impacts of climate change. The possible effects of a warmer world are myriad, but this article focuses on hurricanes: specifically, on hurricane Katrina.

The Wind and the Fury

Will climate change contribute to more weather instability, including more frequent fierce hurricanes like Katrina? The consensus is moving in that direction...

And can we fix it, while improving life as we know it - less pollution of both air and land, more efficient use of the natural resources that surround us, quieter, less smelly cars?

Yes.

No comments: